Thursday 16 June 2011

A suit jacket


A jacket made for my father by WG Jennings, in 1968.  

This is actually part of a three-piece suit, but head-to-toe check is something I couldn't pull off; I’d look like a clownish advertising exec doing ‘eccentric’, or a deranged bookie. But as an odd jacket, it’s electric. The combination of cut and fabric really gets in people’s faces - in the nicest sense, of course.  A slightly nipped waist, slightly roped shoulders, slightly narrow lapels, and slightly short in the body; it looks perfectly modern, and it fits like a cliched glove.  

How proud I am that while hippies were flopping around in Hyde Park getting stoned to the Mick & Keef show, my father was swaggering around town in this absolute beauty.  Real style really is timeless.  

2 comments:

  1. This kind of scarf is to me the very definition of dapper, I love it. I love it even more knowing how limited it's use is. Robbie Robertson from The Band wears one in 'The Last Waltz'. Robbie, Sigh.

    My friend's dad, an impoverished actor and the most stylish man I know, also wore one. What is it about scarves I wonder?

    Miriam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might it be the sheer superfluousness of them? You never actually need a silk scarf; so the decision to wear one is the decision to try to bring a little more beauty to the world. Beautiful superfluity; maybe.

    ReplyDelete