Wednesday 8 June 2011

A loud shirt


A Richard James shirt, bought 15 years ago. I wore it twice before I realised you could only wear it once; otherwise people say, “he’s wearing that shirt again.”

Any likelihood of my ever wearing it again evaporated when it became the fashion-stylist’s choice for a mid-to-late-90s moment. Weeks after I bought it, both Jarvis Cocker and Noel Gallagher were on magazine covers wearing this shirt. So, it probably remains the most expensive ‘cost-per-wear’ item I own; either this or a ghastly man-blouse from Gieves and Hawkes with an over-printed rose motif, which my wife forcefully suggested I never wear again.  As soon as I get myself organised, that’s going on eBay.  For God’s sake, don’t buy it; it’s ludicrous, and you will never wear it.

3 comments:

  1. I am transported back through technicolour cotton... TFI Friday is on...Liam is on the cover of Vanity Fair....Jarvis is in chokey for 'attacking' Michael Jackson... a very zeitgeisty shirt. Nice colours x

    ReplyDelete
  2. stuartbowdenx1009 June 2011 at 15:16

    I have exactly the same almost pristine shirt befouling my wardrobe. I was so excited when I bought it at Richard James, the post-purchase high only matched by the months of quiet self reproach at realising that my life lacked occassions where it was going to be social acceptable for me to make such an insanely self-confident statement. Also it washed me out, made me look like a dead person and encouraged my wife to mock me on a regular basis. Other than that it was the best ill-afforded £120 that I that I've ever spunked away...
    Loving your work, keep posting...
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic. If there's an opportunity for a tag-team pairing of the two shirts, we must make it happen. I'd forgotten what it actually cost me; all I could remember was that it was a lot. Was it really that much...?

    And Miriam: don't you think you of all people could do something wonderful with that fabric...? If Stuart hadn't told me how much I'd paid for it, I'd be tempted to send it to you so you could make something beautiful and useful with it...

    ReplyDelete