Friday 28 January 2011

A tweed jacket


This was made for my father in the late 50s or early 60s by his tailor, WG Jennings.  Mr Jennings would weight my grandfather’s bill (on his instruction) to ensure that my father was able to pay. How very civilized.  

It has tight, high armholes, slim arms and narrow, nicely roped shoulders. The result is that it’s not a very comfortable jacket to wear; but boy, has it been worn a lot, and it has suede cuffs and elbows to prove it, which were put there 20 years ago at least. 


Overall though, the tweed is still going strong. From a distance, it’s a rusty brown colour, but up close, there are beautiful sky-blue and grass-green threads. This must have been the first tweed jacket my father had made, and it strikes me now that he made an inspired choice. 

My mother claims he wore this jacket on their first date, at the Crooked Billet pub in Wimbledon, which by coincidence was where I used to drink as a teenager. It’s a good pub; you should try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment