Friday 28 January 2011

A covert coat


A single-breasted charcoal-grey herringbone covert coat, with a black velvet collar, made by Aquascutum. Another gift from my mother, it was old when I got it (pre-war, given the coats of arms on the label), but had many years left in it. I gave this coat away last winter, because it had always been a little too short in the body and arms; hopefully it now keeps someone else warm (my wife gave it to the local Jesuit mission for the homeless). 

If I don’t still have it, why put it in here?  When my father was dying, it was the end of a mild October, and I sat at the foot of his bed, repairing this coat; re-stitching the buttons, preparing for winter.  A week later, I wore the coat on a grey, damp, bitter day to his funeral. 

No comments:

Post a Comment