Sunday 16 January 2011

Favourite shirts


My father’s favourite shirt, alongside what used to be my favourite.  His is the lilac striped, double-cuffed, spread-collar from Thresher and Glenny.  He would have bought it from their shop in Gresham Street in the City, which is now closed.  

When I gave him a lilac herringbone from Turnbull & Asser for his birthday one year, he told me that  he would buy their shirts when he went to his company’s head office in Lombard Street; but he had no others, since his were from Thresher & Glenny.  Perhaps the brain tumour was already going to work on him, as he confused the two companies; or maybe he just didn’t care that much about who made his shirts.  

After he died, I took a pile of his Thresher & Glenny shirts to the charity shop, including a red gingham, a blue gingham, and a white shirt with black narrow stripes, all of them lovely, all of which I now miss; God knows why I got rid of them.  For a long time afterwards, whenever I visited my mother I would go up into the loft in the hope of finding them there; it took years to accept that they were gone.  

So this is the the last of his Thresher & Glenny shirts.  The collar is very frayed, so I rarely wear it.  The last time was on my wedding day two years ago (alongside a grey herringbone Harris tweed jacket from Anderson & Sheppard, a navy and white polka-dot tie from Turnbull & Asser, natural-indigo jeans from Pure Blue Japan, and bespoke boots from Trickers; more on most of those in due course).

The Turnbull & Asser shirt was my favourite in the late 90s (pre-dating the glut of late-90s/early 00s multi-stripe shirts that spilled across the land). To my shame, I now have too many shirts to be able to pick a favourite.  Like the other one, I don’t wear this any more because its collar is too frayed (and the stripes look very dated).  Sadly, the way both shirts are made, with pockets for collar bones, means the collars can’t be turned to give them more life.    

Anyway, this was bought at the T&A shop on Jermyn Street, probably around 1997.  After buying it, I went for lunch at The Stockpot on Panton Street with some colleagues, including the lady who eventually became my wife.  I probably had the broccoli cheese, with chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment