Friday 9 December 2011

A hat


A trilby from Christys, bought from Hornets in Kensington.

There’s a story called Mr McNally’s hat by Shirley Hughes, in which her toddling hero Alfie gets a trilby like this as a reward for helping Mrs McNally clear out her wardrobe. Mr McNally had thought the hat “would give him height”, but his wife hated it so much she hid it.
 

What possesses a man when he decides to buy a hat? Alfie looks very smooth in his, just as my own three-year-old son looks unfeasibly handsome in mine. But while some can wear them, others just shouldn’t; I’ve tried, and I shouldn’t. So this sits on the pink plastic dog in my son’s bedroom, and my hair gets wet when it rains. 

1 comment:

  1. Alfie forever! I can't wear hats either. I don't know why, I just can't. x

    ReplyDelete