Wednesday 26 October 2011

A zipped sweatshirt


A zipped sweatshirt, bought from Agnes B on the rue du Jour, in the late 1990s.

For five years I worked for a company that handled Absolut Vodka’s art sponsorship. While on a trip to New York, I got a call from Michael Holman, who had founded the band Gray (“not black or white, but gray”) with Jean Michel Basquiat in 1979. The band was reforming and coming to the UK to play a gig at the ICA, and he was looking for sponsors.  

Wearing this sweatshirt, black APC jeans, and a black moleskin jacket, I walked downtown to meet him in a West Village cafe on a bright, cold Autumn day. We drank bad coffee and he told me about the time he had spent with Basquiat, while I tried to look nonchalant. As I was leaving, he gave me an unmarked tape containing the band’s songs on one side, and on the other, an unfeasibly rare recording of a phone-performance piece by Basquiat.  

A couple of years later, I was recording a mix-tape and could only find one apparently blank cassette. I think you know what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment