Thursday 7 April 2011

A pair of veldtschoen boots


My father’s Sunday-night ritual:  bunches of shoes picked from the wardrobe and carried outside to be polished.  Done without fail, with winding the clocks, watering the plants, and cleaning ‘the girls’ - the fishtank of school-fete prizes who awkwardly outlived their sisters by over a decade, creating another paternal obligation.  

The standing orders of family; those things which must be done: love as duty.  A military form of love; but unmistakably love, nonetheless.

His perennial favourites were a thirty-year-old pair of officer’s handmade veldtschoen shoes, to be worn with number 2 dress. Week after week, another layer of mid-tan polish would deepen the toe-caps’ gleam, to reflect the world back on itself. Resoled countless times, always with leather and heel-tacks to crunch on parade ground and pavement. Stolen from his car in France; the one time I saw him upset over material loss.  He was bereft.  

These were my first pair of Edward Green’s.  I bought them to be my favourites, but that’s not how the world works; they turned out to be just another pair of shoes that don’t quite fit me.

No comments:

Post a Comment