Thursday 14 April 2011

A leather jacket


A suit-cut lambskin jacket from Blakes in Covent Garden, bought in the mid-90s. Which means we’re in Mission: Impossible territory. The film’s costume designer bought one for Tom Cruise at The Emporium in Greenwich, he wore it in the film, the rest is fashion history.  From spiv to spy, then curdling back to spiv again. Your mission now, should you choose to accept it, is to find a way to make this fashionable again. Good luck with that.

Anyway, in my mid-twenties this was rarely off my nocturnal back. Then I went to a birthday party in Camden one night, sporting it alongside slim black APC jeans, and a pair of cuban-heeled George boots (I know, I know...). 


As I lounged against the bar, imagining myself the distillate of urbane sex appeal with a Havana Club seven-year-old and ginger ale in hand, an elegant young lady looked me up and down, and sneered:

“I bet you work in PR.”
 

I never wore the jacket again.

1 comment:

  1. Ilove this - such a great sense of time and place. I always think of the nineties of sort of naive in terms of style, but that's probably because I was naive in the nineties myself (and I still am now, I suppose...)

    Anyway, good post - it reads like a morality tale.

    -Unseen

    ReplyDelete